- University of Phoenix College of Doctoral Studies Releases the Newest Edition of the Phoenix Scholar™ Academic Journal
- Magellan Healthcare Hosts Webinars in Support of BIPOC Mental Health Awareness Month in July
- DaveTheNurse Hosts Webinar June 22: The Home Care Business Boom - How to Capitalize on It!
"For years, Phoenix PD has engaged in mass human rights violations to silence, intimidate, and attempt to disappear those demanding change. With this lawsuit, that stops now," said Steve Benedetta, The Peoples Law Firm.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona alleges that Phoenix PD unconstitutionally arrested and used excessive force against innocent citizens for decades, identifying several instances, including a recent incident where Phoenix PD shot pepper spray or rubber bullets into crowds of peaceful protestors. The lawsuit alleges that on May 30, 2020, consistent with its pattern and practice, Phoenix PD officers arrested activist Maxima Guerrero and hundreds of individuals in downtown Phoenix and falsely charged them with committing a felony, using manufactured evidence.
"In my many years of experience handling civils right protest cases, this abuse against demonstrators ranks as some of the worst. We will seek justice on their behalf, BLACK LIVES MATTER," said William "Billy" Murphy Jr.
More on The Arizonar
- EclecticIQ launches new platform and vision that re-imagines how threat intelligence is used in cyber defense
- Norton Special Report Finds Young Americans Are Twice as Likely to Cyber Stalk
- Pinnacle West Declares Quarterly Dividend
- Cryptsoft's KMIP technology strengthens security in Networked Energy Services' Advanced Metering Infrastructure solutions
- WebPT's Year of Innovation Ushers in Next-Level Growth
Two days before the day in question, Phoenix PD, unprovoked and without cause, declared the peaceful assembly of protestors to be unlawful and began shooting the protestors with pepper balls, pepper spray, tear gas, and rubber-coated bullets. All but eight protestors disbursed, but the protestors returned the following day for a second peaceful protest. Once again, unprovoked and without cause, Phoenix PD declared the assembly unlawful and shot pepper balls and tear gas to disburse the crowds. The following day, protestors returned again. But this time, Phoenix PD did not let the crowds disburse. They began to chase the protestors down, rounding up and arresting 124 people for committing the crime of being in downtown Phoenix while exercising their First Amendment rights. The arrestees were held for hours in poorly ventilated or unventilated transport vehicles (during a worldwide pandemic) without access to water or restrooms, and they also spent time in jail. All 124 individuals were charged with felony rioting with cut-and-paste statements of probable cause. Ultimately, these statements of probable cause were all thrown out by the judges in front of whom the 124 individuals initially appeared.
"This department demonstrated that it has no boundaries when it comes to abusive tactics and excessive use of force. This lawsuit is a first step to remedying all the trauma that has been caused by the department. But it doesn't end there. We are going to continue to use our people power to challenge what safety really means — because Phoenix PD doesn't keep us safe," said Maxima Guerero.
More on The Arizonar
- Syxsense Extends Enterprise Integration with Secure API
- Hoping They 'Stay' In Summer Hill's New Release
- Media Advisory: Visiquest Properties LLC Announces Revitalization and New Construction of 59 EVERGREEN APARTMENTS
- From Berkshire to Hollywood: 1950s Style Seamed Stockings by Retro Lingerie Brand What Katie Did
- Michael Kolbrener Awarded Prestigious "Premier Luxury Marketing Consultant" Certification
About Murphy, Falcon & Murphy
Murphy, Falcon & Murphy is a Baltimore-based law firm specializing in complex civil, criminal, and civil rights litigation. Our powerhouse legal team has a history of unrelenting dedication to its clients in Baltimore and across the country. Our team of seasoned trial lawyers has extensive experience in a wide variety of cases with success rates that dwarf national averages and is dedicated to providing smart strategies and creative approaches to complex litigation. Our team is driven and strategy-focused —characteristics that have helped us secure more than $900 million in verdicts and settlements, including over $75 Million in police cases throughout the country. Our attorneys have won some of the largest verdicts in high-profile, high-stakes cases in some of the toughest jurisdictions around the country. The firm represented Freddie Gray, Jr. and William H. Green, achieving historic settlements of $6.4 million and $20 million, respectively, for federal and state civil rights violations that led to their deaths.
*Each case is different. Past success does not guarantee a favorable result in any future case.
Media Contact: Zachary McDaniels | [email protected] | 410-951-8750; Heather Hamel | [email protected] | 602.456.1901
SOURCE Murphy, Falcon & Murphy
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Arizonar
- Master Agent Bridgepointe Joins The Evolve IP Partner Program
- Women-Led Fintech, Pasito, Welcomes Julie Scotland as Co-Founder and CMO
- Most Active New Venture Capital Firms Globally 2021 Released at F50 Global Capital Summit
- Wohler adds HDR detection and releases Dolby decoding option for their iVAM1-3 & 2-2 AV monitors
- Beacon Launches New Universe Scrubber That Improves Program Data Accuracy and Increases Audit Success
- Microchip Boosts Gallium Nitride (GaN) Radio Frequency (RF) Portfolio with Ka-band Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) with High Linearity for SatCom Terminals
- Arizona: Governor Doug Ducey Announces $2 Million In State Funding To Restart Tucson Water Treatment Plant
- Barrett-Jackson's Las Vegas Auction Soars with Record $48 Million in Sales, Historic Collector Car NFT Sale and Celebrity Guests, Including "Mr. Las Vegas" Wayne Newton
- American University of Antigua College of Medicine Signs Progression Agreement with University of South Wales
- TVSFlashbackNetwork.Com Adds Mod Squad to Color Classic TV Post Cable Network on WatchYour.TV
- Elevation Secures Series A Funding After Strong Growth
- MissTraders Entrepreneurship Awards Banquet
- Kitchen Products Pro: The New Online Shop for Must-Have Kitchenware for Home Cooks
- New Adult Crypto Co. MEINU Teams Up with Webcam Superstars to Launch New Coin!
- Cummings Graduate Institute for Behavioral Health Studies Certificate Programs Now VA Education Benefits Eligible
- Work 365 announces integration with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central for subscription billing and invoicing
- 8th Annual American Reality Television Awards – Presenters & Appearances
- Ismail Sirdah on What to Prioritize When Hosting an Event
- Arizona: Governor Ducey Signs $100 Million Bipartisan Wildfire Relief Package
- NBC 6 South Florida Honors Fatherhood Task Force Fathers On Behalf of New Kevin Hart Film, Fatherhood