Essential workers, in meat-packing plants, package delivery, medical care, and emergency response, among others, unavoidably face exposure. And personal protective equipment (PPE) may be unavailable or inadequate, notes AAPS.
In most states, physicians and pharmacies face unprecedented barriers to prescribing HCQ for prevention or early treatment of COVID-19, AAPS notes.
AAPS points out the following:
- HCQ is safer than other OTC drugs, including aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), and Plan B. HCQ or chloroquine (CQ) has been used for more than 65 years in hundreds of millions of patients, and has been available OTC in many places. No vaccine in history has been as safe. No COVID-19 vaccine is currently available, and if one is approved, it will be on the basis of rushed and limited testing. Numerous studies show that once a patient is severely ill, HCQ is unlikely to help. Neither is remdesivir or other antiviral drugs. Prevention or early treatment is key. Waiting to get a diagnostic test result, or waiting for the test to turn positive may mean missing the window of opportunity. Once in the hospital, patients lose the ability to choose their treatment. While fear of dangerous side effects is being stoked (only in COVID patients, not in lupus patients), use of HCQ in more than 300,000 older adults with multiple other illnesses showed a rate of (mostly non-fatal) cardiac rhythm disturbances attributable to the medication in only 47/100,000 users (.047%). A number of studies and the experience of many physicians show that early HCQ, especially with zinc supplements, is highly effective in preventing severe disease and hospitalization. There are no huge profits to be made from this old, cheap medication, in contrast to the billions to be made from a vaccine or new drug.
More on The Arizonar
- Charlie Piermarini Interviewed on The Plant Problems Podcast
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
It is always advisable to consult your physician, AAPS states, but the only way to assure that powerful bureaucracies or vested interests cannot prevent patients from exercising freedom to choose is to make the drug available OTC.
The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) has represented physicians of all specialties in all states since 1943. The AAPS motto is omnia pro aegroto, meaning everything for the patient.
SOURCE Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS)
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Arizonar
- Govinda's Natural Foods restaurant in Tucson, Arizona overcomes adversity, reopens for indoor dining
- Santia Deck Makes History Again; First Woman Athlete To Own Sneaker Company
- Brighton Publishing releases "Heir to the Throne III" from author Gregg Brown
- TYM America Names Team Tractor & Equipment Corp. its Authorized Dealer in Arizona
- The House Used by General George Washington at Valley Forge Still Stands Today
- City of San Miguel de Allende, State of Guanajuato Obtain Coveted WTTC 'Safe Travels' Stamp
- Law Offices of Charles G. Eichinger & Associates, P.C. Open and Ready to Help
- Torres Law Joins Alliott Group, The World's Sixth-Largest Multidisciplinary Alliance Of Professional Services Firms
- Senseeker Establishes In-House Wafer Testing Capability
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Its Client Jamie Donnelly on CFO of the Year Award
- AUA College of Medicine Launches International Track for UK Medical Students
- CMC Group Inc. Announces Senior Leadership Transition
- Braeden Lichti - What's the Outlook for Biopharma in 2020?
- Northshore Development secures $47 Million loan to Refinance New Construction Multifamily Development located on Florida's Booming Space Coast
- Chicago Photographer Karen I. Hirsch Pivots During Covid-19 Crisis
- Local Businessman and Community Leader Anders Fung Announces Candidacy for Millbrae City Council
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client Gincor Werx on Certification as a Great Place to Work
- Book Review of Restarting your Company after the Pandemic
- NFPA Names Telgian's Russell Leavitt 1st Vice Chair
- STG Logistics Adds Board Member Farrukh Bezar