Phoenix Man Sentenced for Domestic Violence

PHOENIX - Arizonar -- A Phoenix man was sentenced Thursday to four years in prison for aggravated assault and domestic violence.

Matthew Robert Goodman stood meekly in front of the judge in his orange jumpsuit. He said he felt remorse for his crimes and had worked to better manage his anger issues.

"I admit my wrongdoing and take full ownership for what happened. I should have handled the situation more responsibility, maturely and with caution," Goodman said.

Goodman said that he has completed anger management courses and has gone to therapy. He argued that this had demonstrated a desire to improve his behavior.

"I was an emotional wreck when she finally revealed to me and told me she was cheating on me the whole time with her husband. Still, I didn't mean for any of this to happen," Goodman said.

Goodman also said he is 11 years sober from alcohol and two years sober from narcotics. In this time, he has become a peer support specialist.

"I have helped individuals, families, and even kids that are addicted to either drugs or alcohol. I have even saved people from their current crisis they're going through. This is what I'm great at. I've made differences," Goodman said.

More on The Arizonar
Judge Kristin Culbertson said Goodman inflicted serious physical harm on his victim and his past felony convictions outweigh the benefits he may bring to the community.

"Your felonies seem to be escalating, and not only do you have several of them, but you don't seem to be moving in the right direction," Culbertson said.

Culbertson also ordered Goodman to pay $1,458 in fines.

This sentencing followed an incident on June 12, 2023. Goodman entered his ex-girlfriend, Kimberly Diaz's, vehicle. The pair grabbed lunch together in Chandler, then Goodman moved into the driver's seat.

Goodman then began accusing Diaz of being unfaithful during their relationship. He drove recklessly, hurled insults at Diaz and threatened to kill her.

Goodman grabbed Diaz's arm, twisted it, then started hitting her in the face. He broke one of her teeth then profusely apologized.

Diaz and Goodman went to the hospital together. Goodman forced Diaz to lie to hospital staff by telling them her injury was an accident.

Both of them got back into Diaz's car. Goodman was behind the wheel once more. They began arguing about Diaz's supposed infidelity again, causing Goodman to slap Diaz in the face five more times.

More on The Arizonar
Diaz was eventually able to escape to a neighborhood in Mesa where she called 911. Goodman fled the car on foot, leaving behind some clothes and his phone.

Diaz did not make a statement during the trial. However, Prosecutor Rebecca Hartrick said Diaz requested that Goodman receive the maximum possible sentence.

"This is not just about physical injury. This is also about the financial harm to the victim and the emotional hurt that she still suffers to this day," Hartrick said.

"There was this loss of trust. She thought she loved this man. She thought this man was someone that would protect her, not hurt her," Hartrick said.

Goodman faced a maximum of seven and a half years for his crime. He took a plea deal with the prosecution in exchange for having unlawful imprisonment and threatening/intimidation charges dropped.

Goodman was forbidden from contacting Diaz or her family in the future.

Media Contact
Charlise Bar-Shai

Source: Arizona State University
Filed Under: Government

Show All News | Report Violation


Latest on The Arizonar