There are over 1.2 million salons in the United States, but now, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, hundreds of thousands of salon owners and stylists are out of work. For those who are still operating, revenue is down over 50% in the first half of 2020. Between February and April 2020, the number of jobs at employment-based salons dropped by 84 percent, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Only 93,000 people were on payroll at employment-based salons in April – down from 569,000 in February. This represents the fewest number of salon jobs in well over five decades.
More on The Arizonar
- CMS issues the First Ever Guidance on Remote Patient Monitoring for proposed 2021 Physician Fee Schedule
- Smokescreen eyes a larger share of the global cybersecurity pie; appoints Preekshit Gupta as Head of Sales – India, MEA, and, APAC
- Evolve IP® Named For Eighth Time to the Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- Inspirational and Motivational Photographs
- Sun God Medicinals products now available at CBD Emporium. Oregon Herbal Brand Now In All Stores
Eighty-three percent of salon businesses have fewer than 10 employees. These small businesses, owned 60% by women and 34% by minorities, employed a workforce of roughly 1.3 million professionals. Salons are the hardest hit, and last to reopen. With the newly released Commerce Department's initial estimate of the 2nd quarter US gross domestic product having the steepest drop in more than 70 years, these numbers are sure to vastly increase.
We are watching the collapse of the beauty industry right in front of our very eyes; but there is a solution to help give it a much needed lifeline -- by allowing access to an existing credit in the IRS tax code, the 45B FICA Tax Tip Credit, which the Professional Beauty Association (PBA), the industry's largest and most inclusive trade association, is aggressively and desperately lobbying for to be included in the new stimulus package, which as of today, it is not.
More on The Arizonar
- MentorAPM Releases Version 3 of Groundbreaking CMMS and Asset Performance Management Suite
- Universal Technical Institute to Participate in Canaccord Genuity 40th Annual Growth Conference
- Arrow Organics Reveals 20:1 CBD to THC Product Line
- DelMar Aerospace Corporation Launches New Service: Rapid Deployment Solutions
- Annual MSP 501 Identifies Best-in-Class Global MSP Businesses & Leading Trends in Managed Services
The immediate solution of implementing the 45B FICA Tax Tip Credit in the economic stimulus package is an impactful one. Congress passed this credit in 1993 allowing restaurants to claim a dollar for dollar tax tip credit on the employer portion of FICA taxes paid on tips. A temporary retroactive application of this credit would provide immediate liquidity to struggling salons across our country.
The inclusion of the 45B FICA Tax Tip Provision in the second stimulus package will reimburse salon owners for taxes they have already paid on tips, creating immediate liquidity and a solution to garnering immediate financial resources. Resources to pay rent, employees, insurance, and other necessary payables to help keep the salon alive through this unprecedented time.
PBA needs this provision to have visibility in order to make it into the stimulus package. To take action to support the PBA's letter to congress requesting inclusion of the 45B FICA Tax Tip Credit, click on the link: https://p2a.co/f3AYIL1.
SOURCE Professional Beauty Association
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Arizonar
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Announces a $20M Fintech Venture with Braintree in the Coming Year
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Has Announced an Equity Investment in a Brantstone Properties Development Project – London, Slated 2023
- What if Bon Jovi's Drummer Had Been an Indian Temple Musician From 800AD?
- Pro's Phoenix Fast-Response Service Has Started
- New Memoir By U.S. Marine: Releasing on Amazon September 06 2020
- Building Your Success System. Unique New eBook
- Onlive Server Announced Europe based Germany VPS Server Hosting Services with KVM Hypervisor Cloud Panel
- ICON Jewel's Famed Hollywood Jeweler Talks Diamonds, Covid And These Uncertain Times
- Why We Need More Black Executives in Hip Hop? by Eric B
- Marshals Of The Revolution-New Roots Country Music and Lifestyle Brand Has Arrived
- Pinkberry Introduces New Watermelon Lime Frozen Yogurt
- Avoiding the 17a-4 Quagmire - AdvisorVault's Guide for Small FINRA Firms
- Celebrating 3 Years of Royse Contemporary with new exhibition "Elements of Style II"
- Eric Bopp Announces He's Running for Judge
- ITSMA Announces Finalists for the 2020 Marketing Excellence Awards
- Tom Urquhart, Ph.D., joins IOTech Systems as SVP of Professional Services
- CEO Coaching International Client, StoneAge Inc., Acquires Breadware, A Leader in Industrial IOT Product Development
- Parallel Capital Partners Announces New Systems, Protocols to Ensure Commercial Tenants' Safety
- Luxury Apartment Community The Ryan in Phoenix Now Leasing
- Rep. John Lewis Your Work Was Not In Vain